Work in Thailand
In order to be allowed to work in Thailand, foreigners must be in
possession of a valid work permit. However, this is only granted if the foreigner has a qualification which is required in Thailand. Details are described in the "Alien Employment act". There is a long detailed list of forbidden occupations for foreigners. The Board of Investment (BOI) facilitates the process of obtaining a work permit for investors with sufficient investments. This also applies to the foreign personnel of foreign companies.
A condition for the distribution of a work permit is an existing "Non immigrant visa type B" or a permanent "Residence Permit".
The work permit is authorised dependent upon activity and job. In practice, the first step is to find an employer. Then a work permit can be requested for this specific job. An application for a new work permit must follow with a change of job,
even if it is the exact same occupation.
In the year 2001 the fees for work permits were heavily increased
- Second-Class Work Permit 3.000 Baht
Board of Investment (BOI) firm foundation / taxes:
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Kingdom of Thailand
Jobs in Thailand (job search engines):
Restricted professions for foreigners
- Work in agriculture, animal breeding, forestry, fishery or general farm supervision
- Masonry, carpentry, or other construction work
- Driving motor vehicles or non-motorized carriers, except for piloting international aircraft
- Supervising, auditing or giving services in accounting, except occasional international auditing
- Gem cutting and polishing
- Hair cutting, hair dressing and beautician work
- Mat weaving or making of wares from reed, rattan, kenaf, straw or bamboo pulp
Manufacture of manual fibrous paper
- Manufacture of lacquerware
- Thai musical instrument production
- Manufacture of nielloware
- Goldsmith, silversmith and other precious metal work
- Manufacture of bronzeware
- Manufacture of mattresses and padded blankets
- Manual silk product making
- Paper and cloth umbrella fabrication
- Brokerage or agency work, except in international business
- Legal or litigation service
- Clerical or secretarial work
- Manual silk reeling and weaving
- Thai character type-setting
- Tourist guide or tour organizing agency
All data is provided without guarantee!
I, the operator of www.Siam-Info.de (Heinz Klaus Thiesen), have no business connection with the enterprises specified above. I therefore take no responsibility for the information supplied by the enterprises specified above. The contributions represent my own personal opinion.